9/6/07

Overcoming Phobias

Benton's never been crazy about cows. Perhaps terrified is a better word. On a visit to the Peter's farm, he took one look at the cows and clung to his Aunt Snook as though he was about to drown and she was the only thing holding him up. It didn't help that Emma fed the cows. The story I heard when he got home was "The cows eat Emma's hand." Not quite. Another time, we were visiting friends whose neighbors have cows. He was fine looking at them through the screen door--until one mooed. It was all over then. He would not be consoled until the door was closed and the drapery drawn. One night, I was awakened by the boy crying out in his sleep. When I went to check on him, he was thrashing about in his bed crying, "No cow! No cow!" On occasion, out of the blue, he would say to me, "Mommy, I don't like something." "What don't you like?" "Cows." So with this in mind, his intrepid father set out to help him overcome his phobia. And what better place to test one's phobic endurance than the State Fair? After two days of careful handling, Benton pet a cow. Then, as seen here, he fed a baby cow. And later, he hugged that same cow!! I am so proud! Of Ben's accomplishment and of his dad's patience. (In the spirit of overcoming phobias, I entered the reptile tent. I promptly departed to wait outside once I saw the size of a certain tank near the back. Yes, that's right. I didn't even wait around to find out what was in it).
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Cathy said...

Hurray for Benton! We're so proud of you!!

Grandma Sherri said...

What a brave boy! And dad. I think I am glad my dad didn't try to make me overcome my fear of reptiles, but maybe if I was that young I would never even remember that I was once deathly afraid. Now Ben and Emma can go play in the barn

Aly sun said...

No, not liking snakes is Biblical, in my opinion. Benton can get over his fear of farm animals, but we do not need to pet a snake.

Jessi Reber said...

I concur 100% with Alysun - there is not a thing wrong with despising the evil existence snakes, and maybe if Benton had some steak or hamburgers he would like cows a little more :) Ok, milk?

Jenni said...

"no kitty, no kitty, no kitty!!!" does this remind you of a day at my house?