1/22/09

The Cutest Baby Ever?

Yes. I think so.
What do you mean he doesn't look like a baby?
The cheeks! The chubby fingers! The crusty white stuff in his hair!

I have completely stolen the following from Karen Kingsburry's children book Let Me Hold You Longer. I think of it every time I see my sweet baby Nat looking less like a baby and more like a little boy. This poem is a great reminder to hold on tight to each memory. If you're a mom, especially with a baby boy who insists on growing up, this will make you weep. It gets me every time. There's more of course, but since I have used this completely without any sort of permission at all, you should probably buy the book if you wan the rest of it :)

Long ago you came to me,
a miracle of firsts.
First smiles and teeth and baby steps,
a sunbeam on the burst.
But one day you'll move away and leave me to your past,
And I will be left thinking of a lifetime of your lasts...
The last time that I held a bottle
to your baby lips.
The last time I lifted you
and held you on my hip...
Our last adventure to the park,
Your final mid day nap.
The last time when you wore
your faded baseball cap...
I never said good-bye
to all your yesterdays long past
So what about tomorrow--
Will I recognize your last?
...I've watched you grow up and
barely noticed seasons as they passed.
If I could freeze the hands of time
I'd hold on to your lasts...
For come some bright fall morning,
you'll be going far a way.
College life will beckon you
in a brilliant sort of way.
One last hug, one last good-bye,
one quick and hurried kiss.
One last time to understand
just how much you'll be missed.
I'll watch you leave and think how fast
our time together passed.

Photo Credit goes to the skilled artists at Paradise Photography

2 comments:

Aly sun said...

Made me all teary. Beautiful poem and beautiful boy.

Grandma Sherri said...

So moving...so many memories, such a cutie!!