3/28/08

Easter Eggs



Went to two egg hunts the day before easter. The one in the pictures was at Dayspring. Benton and Jewels were in the same group and did a great job being buddies. The other one was at our church. I didn't get pictures of that one because I didn't have enough arms to run the camera and corral the children. It was a long day, but so much fun! In general, I'm not sure how I feel about Easter egg hunts. They seem to capitalize on competition and greed rather than the amazing grace of a God willing to send his son to die so we can go to heaven. On the other hand, they are a tremendous community outreach--and fun. At this point, I am unwilling to throw out the baby with the bath water. But I am not offended in the least that one town has taken the Easter out of the egg hunt and the bunny. Now they have a spring egg hunt and a spring bunny. The goal was to remove the religious connotations, but seriously--are there religious coontations to eggs and bunnies? Sure we (Christians) have tried to attatch meanings of re-birth and new life to these items, but I think we're only rationalizing our participation. Cadburry isn't fooled--or the people who invented Peeps--don't get me started on Peeps. All this to say, I feel I should have an oppinion on the subject, but I don't.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Aly sun said...

I think Easter/Spring egg hunts rank up there with getting the kids' pictures taken with Santa. Kinda pointless.
I think it's the parents job to be talking every day about the REAL meaning of things, not just the hype. There isn't any reason a child can't enjoy Santa at Christmas and a chocolate bunny at Easter and also know that Christ was born fully God and fully man to live with all the temptations of the world, yet die blameless on the cross for my sins, raising from the dead after 3 days.
Enjoy the sugar high.