A Few of My Favorite Things
I was listening to one of those radio stations that play Christmas music all the time and heard the song "a few of my favorite things." I have long been perplexed about why this memorable ditty from Sound of Music is considered a Christmas song. Christmas-ish things are sort of mentioned: "Warm woolen mittens;" "Brown paper packages tied up with string;" "Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes;" "Silver white winters that melt into springs." But that's it. My hunch is that the same people who are politically correcting "the hollidays" were running out of holliday songs so they adopted this one. I do love the song though.
A freind e-mailed me a version sung by Julie Andrews for an AARP benifit about aging. One stanza says "Cadillacs and cataracts ,and hearing aids and glasses, Polident and Fixodent and false teeth in glasses, Pacemakers, golf carts, and porches with swings, These are a few of my favorite things." Hilarrious, but I am NOT old enough to be getting e-mails like this!!
At any rate, I thought I'd put together a list of a few of my favorite things, just for kicks and giggles.
1. Radio stations that play all Christmas music all the time
2. The way Nathaniel adds "s" to the end of everything these days. "Hunwees" (hungry), "mamas," (that's me) "bas" (cup) "moowees" (movie).
3. Mineral makeup. I love this one. I use this one.
4. The Oregon Political Tax Credit. We can donate up to $100 per couple to a Political Action Committee of our choice and get 100% of the money back on our state tax return. It's free money for the organization. Here's the one that gets our money. Find out more about PACs here.
5. Big Train Chai
6. Ikea family bathroom and restaurant. Free diapers, and crustless pb and j. I love that they make it easy to shop with my kids.
7. Freezer Meals
8. The head phone jack in the backseat of my golden mini van with the dent in the side. My general rule as far as kids music in the car is if they're happy so am I. Unfortunately, after so many hours listening to singing vegetables, I begin to transition from happy to loopy. Loopy Mom behind the wheel of a gold tone mini van is how one gets dents in the side.
9. Sudafed plug in vaporizer
10. The way Benton always wants to play "the game where we say what animals Noah took on the ark and how many and what color and how many legs they have using every each letter of the alphabet." I think this game needs a better title before it takes off. Maybe we could use an acronym: TGWWSWANTOTAAHMAWCAHMLTHUEELOTA. Or maybe not...
11. Comments on my blog
Posted by Andee at 9:04 AM